The Wow of Yao

In the remote mountains of Guizhou Province, tribal groups of Yao and Miao and Dong gather for spectacular festivals of the moon and sisterhood, dress in flirty pleated skirts, mountainous headwraps, embroider fantastical animal hats for their children, and ring their own heads with opulent silver crowns.   Along with 52 other minority groups, they make up only 8% of the Chinese population; the other 92% being Han.  Folded into the crease of mountain life for centuries, spectacular textile traditions have bloomed within the distinctness of their set-apart hill tribes.

I love the remarkable work of these people and am thrilled to announce that, in collaboration with major collectors and experts in the field, ibu is bringing a Yao exhibit to Charleston that you simply cannot miss.  Vintage jackets are being re-born in the ibu studio right now, jewelry is mounted for spectacular display, antique embroidery and new wax-resist pieces by women artisans are coming to town.  We’re secluding a portion of our showroom for this den of beauty and will throw it open soon for an amazing peek inside this way of life.

In a welcome nod to the Chinese New Year, we’re celebrating the newly reigning Red Fire Monkey.  What a naughty, energetic, and fun-loving creature to oversee our new exhibit and bountiful year ahead.  Come and see her make mischief, fire passions, and otherwise swing from the high branches of hope for this new year!  Our own Megan Landau has penned our illustrative Red Fire Monkey, dubbed Dandan, (which means, appropriately, Cinnabar Red.)

Come see us and the the making of a Festival on the 24th!  If you're not in Charleston, then please do something with a little WOW in it.  Take to swinging from new heights. . . light a fire in your day. . . welcome someone new. . .  the Monkey’s be with you.

all the best -
Susan Hull Walker with Dandan